Friday, March 2, 2007

Who says Chinese students are meek?

At their core, people around us here are ethnic Chinese, and the Asian stereotype of meekness is, I feel, somewhat true. They tend not to get into loud shouting matches, which to them is a sign of losing face; no one argues with elders in any setting (student-teacher, youth-adult, child-parent); and there is an overall respect for authority.

However, certain situations buck that trend. At my university, for example, there is a sizable undergrad population, and there exist multiple student groups to serve such a large crowd. But keeping in mind that my university is primarily a technical one (think MIT of the East), the clubs tend to be ... umm ... somewhat tame. I'm talking Chemistry Club, the Wizards society (I think their passion is card magic), the Chess Club, the Astronomy Association, and the Unicorns (I have no idea what those kids do.) Still, these clubs are not shy about recruiting freshmen.

Here apparently, they are allowed to get together in front of the entrance to school buildings, and yell and chant at the people entering and leaving. I mean, yell and chant with the passion of people that have been wronged and are demanding that they be heard. In the middle of this, you are expected to navigate your way through these frenzied, costumed, banner waving masses just to get to class.

My friend Collin, who is a fellow exchange student took the following video. Check out number "02" as he goes nuts trying to rally his buddies. The Chinese, my friend, are not meek at all.



3 comments:

  1. So do you know what they're chanting?

    "Chess is cool!" and "No,no! Cards are soooo much cooler!"??

    Sigh..I wish I was young and so unashamedly passionate about something again.:)

    ReplyDelete