Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Its going to be a ...!

If you haven't heard already, then I have some news for you. Saeeda and I are expecting our first child sometime in June. Yes, exciting stuff, and while we've both been overjoyed these last few months, I didn't realize how quickly our lives are about to change until this past Monday. That's when we visited our doctor for Saeeda's 22nd week appointment, and got to use ultrasound to see our baby chilling in it's mothers womb.

There was something about seeing the tiny hands and feet, and seeing the baby turn this way and that to get away from the annoying ultrasound wand that finally made it hit home. Uh, dude? I heard a voice say inside my head. You're going to be, like, a father.

A father? Me? I can barely remember where I put my car keys, or how to properly slice a tomato, or whether the your bread plate sits to your left or to your right. And I'm going to be responsible for the safety and security of a whole new life? And the child is going to look to me for direction? Uh oh.

But thoughts like that are fleeting. I take solace in the fact that there have been countless other clueless dads throughout time, all of whom have learned to cope. It's not like babies come with an instruction manual. And "What to Expect when you're Expecting" doesn't count.

Our ultrasound technician also told us the gender of the child, which had both of us overjoyed. The problem now lies in the fact that my dad has asked that I not tell him the gender, and that he wants to be "surprised" at birth. The kicker being that my mother has said that she wants to know the gender the moment we find out. Exactly how I'm going to be able to keep this information from one parent and not the other, I'm not sure. Especially since my parents are slowly becoming tech savvy, and my dad at least has started reading this blog (Hello!).

I will try, however. Hopefully this blog post has been gender neutral the whole time...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! You'll be a great father. Does your father read comments too? It's a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    I am going to have to make sure to tell Zameen that Uncle Faisal and Aunt Saeeda (are you surprised that you've been adopted as relatives?) is getting him a new play buddy.

    This is wonderful news, and for what it's worth, the Internet is one great wonderful instruction manual. Except for the times (all the time) when they contradict each other.

    Best wishes, and I hope Saeeda is doing well.

    ReplyDelete