Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Respect for McDonald's

One thing that has become clear in Kyoto is that the Japanese know how to set up peaceful environments. Much of our itinerary today took us through temples and neighborhoods whose general layout and architecture we had become familiar with already. What I couldn’t get enough of was the serenity of each new place, especially since every temple approached it in a different manner. One place would have a zen rock garden, its sand combed perfectly in straight lines and circles, with rocks peeking out here and there. Another would have a moss garden, brilliantly green and delicate to the touch. And another would simply engineer the course of a stream so that it pooled pleasingly in certain areas, and flowed freely in others.


The weather had held up until today, and we’d been extremely successful in seeing whatever we wanted in sunny, albeit cold, weather. Today it began to drizzle non-stop, but whereas initially I thought it would lessen our sightseeing, it actually enhanced the beauty of the things we were seeing.

Lunch proved to be a stark reminder that there is a limit to being adventurous. Emboldened by the fact that a few days ago I had tried sushi and really liked it, I decided to follow recommendations and have lunch at a traditional tofu restaurant. We sat on tatami mats as we were served a set course meal that consisted of no meat. Given Kyoto’s temples and many monks, the neighborhood food establishments in the area make it a point to cater to vegetarian tastes. However, I had trouble with the tofu that we were served – strange tastes, textures, and smells made sure that the meal was a challenge, and an expensive one. Oh well, live and learn.


The meal continued to bug my stomach well into the evening, when, back at the hotel, I had to cave and call the concierge to find out the location of the closest McDonald’s. I don’t think I can ever make fun of McD’s ever again. Granted, in the US I enter the Golden Arches under dire circumstances only, but there is a certain safety blanket feel to the restaurant when you are abroad. There is a reason that foreigners flock to it – the food is recognizable from back home, you know the tastes, you remember the familiar colors, and probably most importantly you know that there will be clean restrooms available for use. We’ve had some great food during our trip, but the Big Mac and it’s friends have been there for us when we’ve needed them most. I hereby promise to refrain from outright ridicule of McDonald’s.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on McDonalds. Back home I think I go there once a year at most, but here I've been going 2-3 times a week. Granted mostly for the bathroom, coffee, and ice cream. You definitely need the familiarity it provides as you're braving a lot of new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that many foreigners associate American establishments like Mickey D's and Starbucks for the clean bathrooms as much as the food itself.

    I loved the tofu restaurant that we hit in Japan, but then again I love tofu. But I hear you on the familiarity bit. In fact, I think that its kinda fun to hit a McDo's wherever you go just to see the local variations on the food. Nothing quite like getting a McAloo Tikki Burger in India. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete