Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mr. Anthony

All this free time on my hands has not meant that I've had the opportunity to relax - Saeeda has been finding ways to keep me busy. Personally, I think the whole thing is quite unfair. Why shouldn't I be able to get up at 11am and play videogames all day long? Those things are hard to crack, and each level requires detailed strategizing and planning. My wife just doesn't understand...

In any case, today's task was to get our couches and upholstery cleaned. I know, I get assigned such exciting things. As any good business school student, I looked around and found a professional to outsource the job, by way of my cousin's husband (Khurram). I had visited his place last week, and noticed how clean the couches looked. I eventually obtained the info for the man that had hooked Khurram up - a guy by the name of Mr. Anthony.

Mr. Anthony turned out to be quite the character. First of all, he...spoke...like...this. Sloooooowly. This was maddening to me, especially since I've spent the last two years learning how to instantly digest large amounts of information quickly, verbal or written, and as a result have had my attention span shortened ridiculously. Second, Mr. Anthony was very talkative. Picture that for a second. A man who takes forever to say things, and has a ton of things to say.

While cleaning, Mr. Anthony revealed that he was a Cuban immigrant who had swam ashore over 30 years ago, started out as a butcher in Chicago, and then decided that his passion lay in cleaning couches. It was hard for me to believe that this man had been showing up at people's homes for three decades, and continued to enjoy his job so much that at 70 had not desire to quit. How does one discover such a passion in life? Have I discovered my passion? I better have. I just spent over $120,000 on education that is supposed to lead me to it.

Mr. Anthony did a great job. The before and after is apparent below, along with the cruddy water that was left over afterwards. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment