Monday, July 28, 2008

Sales comes to an end. Finally.

Today I woke up at 6am, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Today I had to run to catch the bus, making it just in time.
Today I had to endure a 60 minute train ride, squeezed between two very large passengers.
Today I was introduced to my new cubicle, which consisted of fading gray felt walls, dull gray cabinets, and a dark gray chair. And I was happy.

Yes, I was happy.

You see, today was my first day in my new rotation at work. After having spent a year in Sales, the powers that be finally deemed me worthy of a new assignment, and despite the hardships and inconveniences that I will be facing, I am grateful. I will finally get to do MBA-worthy things like attend meetings and answer email all-day long. I will have to read bulky PowerPoint presentations and eat cafeteria food. But after the hardship of sales, this is a welcome change.

Sales was hard. Not because it required feats of intellectual achievement, because it didn't. Sales was hard because I stopped wanting to be in an environment where the person I wanted to engage in a conversation usually thought I was an idiot, and not worthy of attention. Where the hardest part of my day consisted of ensuring the food I had ordered for an office lunch arrived on time. Sales was hard because I realized I never had the energy and determination of my colleagues, all of whom had the amazing ability to keep coming back, bad day after bad day. To them, the lifestyle and the importance of the product being sold was enough to overcome rude office staff. Not for me.

I've realized that I'd much rather spend my day filling out TPS reports. Well, maybe not quite. But I know that I don't mind a desk-job that has me staring at a computer screen as long as my mind is engaged in problem-solving. And that's what this next rotation, focused on business development and partnership management promises to be.

So I'll put up with getting up early, enduring a long commute, and sitting in a cubicle. Because I don't have to be in Sales anymore.

3 comments:

  1. > Today I woke up at 6am, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

    How did you manage that with a baby in the house?

    Hooray for the new rotation, though. Does this mean less travel, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't really traveling while in Sales - it was more driving around the Chicago suburbs. Still, to spend time outside my car is going to be nice.

    ReplyDelete